Project 1 - Photograms

Photogram project!

Exposure: 8 | Time: 6 Seconds
I created this image by placing sand directly on top of the piece of photo paper in a short and wide pile. I then carefully moved the sand away to form the empty "X" in the middle. This image reminds me of graffiti because the rough edges and spatter effects. This image symbolizes rebellion to me because of the graffiti look and the large X.



Exposure: 8 | Time: 1.8 Seconds
This image was made by cutting out a skull shape in paper, then tearing up a bunch of small pieces of paper and piling them up around the edges. I like the way the pieces of paper overlap each other and create different levels of grays all over. This piece gives me the feeling that the skull was from someone who died in the woods and was forgotten, and the small pieces of paper around the skull are like dead leaves. 



Exposure: 8 | Time: 3 Seconds
This one was made by cutting up a bunch of pieces of paper and layering them on top of each other on the sides. I also folded a piece of paper together and made cuts so there are mirrored parts on each side. When I made this photogram it was initially not centered for the first second that I turned the enlarger on. I shut off the enlarger and re-centered the picture, and did another 2 seconds. I think this is what caused the image to look blurry on the center piece of paper, but very sharp on the edge pieces. I really liked the contrast of the blurry center but very sharp edges. This one is kind of vague to me, I'm not sure what it symbolizes. My favorite part is the layered pieces of paper in the top left.



Exposure: 8 | Time: 6 Seconds
This photogram was made by completely covering a piece of paper with sand, then creating a swirl effect by dragging my finger around in the sand. This one was very challenging to make, and I had to try about 5 times to get the design to come out the way I wanted. I am really happy with the way the grains of sand appear along the edges of the swirls, creating a cool faded effect. This photogram was meant to look like a galaxy, but it also looks like an eye to me. This symbolizes that the world is always watching.



Exposure: 8 |  Time 6 Seconds
This piece is meant to be the opposite of the previous one. Rather than placing a large pile and drawing a path through it I placed sand on the edges and made a swirl with the sand in the center. In hindsight I think this one would have looked better with a lower exposure time because the edges are a bit rough and blurry. I think this one is a nice contrast to the black swirl, and the two together have a bit of a yin-yang effect.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unit 3 reading

Project 4: Digital Submission

Reading Response: Disclosure and Uncertainty in Early Photography