Project 4 Proposal

I think the main type of images I would like to take for this project are long exposures and painting with light. I think painting with light will be a lot of fun. The other two effects don't seem as interesting to me, so I will work mostly with the two I mentioned. I'm pretty bad at coming up with concepts for these types of projects before I can see what I am able to do on my own with the techniques. But I think my concept will revolve around the photos having a lot of darkness with small yet interesting bits of light. The parts that show light could symbolize hope or beauty in a dark and mysterious world. I really liked the long exposures of the ocean that I saw online, so I am planning to take a few of those when I go back home (which is right near the ocean). I think the way that the ocean winds up looking really flat and metallic looks really cool, and I want to replicate this. I think if I can find an interesting subject that is along the shore right next to the ocean (similar to the first photo in my research) I could create some really cool images. As far as painting with light, I think I can create some images that go along with the long exposures by writing meaningful words or symbols with light. 

Timeline: I want to have all of my photos taken by 11/28. I want to develop my film on 12/3, and make the prints between 12/5 and 12/10.

"A long exposure photograph is eternity captured for a moment." - James Baturin

I really love the way the ocean looks in this photograph by James Baturin. The long exposure makes the ocean look completely flat, almost like a gigantic metallic surface that spans all the way to the horizon. The ocean alone would not make this picture interesting enough though. The log in front makes an interesting subject, and the wooden beams sticking up out of the ground also add some interesting details. For my project I hope I can find interesting subjects like these along the shore.

Long Exposure Photographers Capturing  a Foggy Sunrise in Brooklyn Bridge Park - Rod Clark

This long exposure photograph is interesting because it adds movement. When things are moving around in a long exposure they become blurry and mysterious, while making the parts of the image which do not move look extremely sharp. I particularly like the faint silhouette of the person standing in front of the camera on the left. They were probably standing there for a while and then moved, leaving a ghostly figure behind. I think I will experiment with moving subjects in my long exposure photos, but when I have moving subjects I want to keep some parts of the scenery fixed to provide a contrast between the blurriness and sharpness. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unit 3 reading

Project 4: Digital Submission

Reading Response: Disclosure and Uncertainty in Early Photography